How can the people remain chaste in this kaliyuga as insisted by the scriptures?
A woman devotee (Name hidden) asked like this:
“Shastras prescribe a woman to be chaste and faithful, how should one maintain in this age, plz give tips for that also. Out of Doubt, I wish to know, what punishment is there in Shastras, who do physical violence on husband/ wife, old parents, son/ daughter and any other forms of physical violence in this world?”
Being chaste is common for both men and women. Not for women alone.
If a woman violates, a man also violates. So, we can’t discuss only about women.
Chastity means being loyal to the spouse alone without involving in premarital or extramarital violations even by thoughts, not only in action.
The women and men should be developed in such a way by the parents.
However, with the technological development, everyone is having a smarphone. Every smartphone user should have seen atleast one or a few videos about prohibited contents.
Though a smartphone user do not try to see such things, the auto complete and autosearch facilities show the contents related to the first two letters of the words of search.
When they search for something, they are additionally shown some other things related to the first 1 or two letters of search term.
So, they are shown unwanted things by force.
So, being that much pure is impossible now a days. Atleast a person can avoid violating directly with any person. That’s all. We can’t guarantee that he/ she would not have thought of her/him in mind in prohibited condition.
Now a days, even if a girl is willing to avoid such things, her classmates discuss those things and watch those things even in the class rooms that is heard by her. So, a girl or boy is unable to avoid such unwanted and inducing contents.
Every home has a television set. Many advertisements, cine scenes are shown that have vulgar movements that induce the senses of even children.
So, our eyes have seen something other than the spouse.
When we travel in bus, we are crossed by someone who violates the limits though we don’t like that.
So, 100% purity as per the scriptures is very difficult.
However, we can maintain purity to the best possible level.
(1) You can avoid visiting adults related inducing contents. If you happen to see vulgar contents when you were looking for something else, you can immediately close the tab without enjoying the contents. Do not click on unknown links and related stories containing prohibited things.
(2) You can avoid talking to the opposite gender except for essential needs. Unwanted talks lead to violations later. Particularly, avoid being alone with the opposite gender. If you have to deal with them for official reasons, just stick to the talks related to official topics.
(3) You can read only the quality books and news papers that do not publish inducing contents.
(4) Watch only the quality news channels in the television. One of our temple pujari does not have a TV in his home. He seems to be very much relieved.
(5) The students may avoid the company of the other students who are talking unproductive and inducing things. If anyone is nearby your seat, do change your seat requestiong the teacher.
(6) Use smartphones only for well known websites, mail services, quality pages in the social media. Block anyone who does not behave decently in social media.
(7) Avoid seeing movies because it has been commercialized targeting the youth with inducing contents. It is 20-21 years since I went to a theatre. Feeling relieved.
(8) Whenever you need to visit a beach or park, select a crowdy space and sit there. The corners and hidden parts will be filled with the boys and girls violating publicly. Now a days, the parks and beaches are becoming the spots for lovers, not for children.
(9) Do not violate just because you don’t get sufficiently from the spouse. Ask the spouse directly for your more requirements. That is better.
(10) Sense related pleasures are very short lived. So, do not lose your peace just for a few minutes of temporary pleasures.
(11) Do not give android phones for the school going children. If important to contact them, give them ordinary 2G handset.
(12) If your child asks you a computer to learn something academically, allow them to use your computer that has filter for prohibited contents.
(13) Give the children in marriage as early as possible immediately they settle in a job. Do not prolong it for long.
(14) If anyone is speaking double meaning talks or direct talks with ill motives, don’t hesitate to avoid his association.
(15) Involve seriously in devotional practices and make yourself busy without having time for unwanted material activities.
Thus, you can take some precautions and avoid yourself from involving in such violations directly.
Just consider the spouse as your prime relation and live for him/ her welfare and for satisfying Krishna.
Thus, we can very well minimize the contamination of mind and body. However, just seeing something accidentally can’t be avoided because they are pushed on us.
If you follow atleast this level of purity, that will be welcome in this advancing kaliyuga.
Involving more in devotional practices will naturally reduce your desire to involve in sense inducing things. So, catch the lotus feet of Krishna and win the tricks of maya.
Hope this helps you.