HOW TO APPLY TILAKA ON OUR BODY (As Per Gaudiya Vaishnava Sampradhaya)?
(1) The purpose of wearing tilak is also to remember the Lord in His many Names/forms. This is explained below:
(2) Tilaka is to be applied not only on the forehead, but, on twelve parts of the body
(3) While wearing on these twelve places, twelve names of the Lord are recited with each application.
(4) To apply tilaka, rub the gopi chandan cake or some powder with some water with the tilaka , and stir it with your right middle finger, while chanting the following manthra:
ganga cha yamune chaiva
narmade sindho kaveri
jale ‘smin sannidhim kuru
“O Ganges, O Yamuna, O Godavari, O Saravati, O Narmada, O Sindhu, O Kaveri, please become present in this water.”
(5) Put the water in your left palm, and rub the cake of Gopi tilak cake or powder with the water. A wet paste is created.
Place your ring finger of the right hand into the clay, and place the finger between the eyebrows. Then, bring the finger straight up to the hairline, making two straight lines like a long, narrow U-shape.
Then use some more tilak to make the Tulasi leaf on your nose, it should extend about 3/4 of the way down your nose.
This is the way to wear the tilaka on the forehead and nose.
(6) OTHER PARTS OF BODY:
Then, you have to apply the tilak on the other parts of body as given below chanting the following mantras:
Forehead – om keshavaya namaha
Belly – om narayanaya namaha
Chest – om madhavaya namaha
Neck – om govindaya namaha
Right belly – om vishnave namaha
Right arm – om madhusudhanaya namaha
Right shoulder – om trivikramaya namaha
Left belly – om vamanaya namaha
Left arm – om shridharaya namaha
Left shoulder – om hrishikeshaya namaha
Upperback – om padmanabhaya namaha
Lower back – om damodaraya namaha
(7) Some clay may be remaining unused. Wipe the remaining tilak on the back of the head, in the area of the sikha, chanting om vasudevaya namaha.
Hope this helps you.