Why even small mistakes of devotees are seen as big?
A girl devotee (Name hidden) asked like this:
Why is it that even if v do a lil mistake n ppl comment that this is wht ur kc yaught n this is wht u chant.
I m nt a regular kc person hence commit mistakes n whn pppl say so ……i think i shld nt chant as i m maligning the holy name coz my own weakness n shory comings
A Krishna Conscious person is just a sadhaka that means spiritual practitioner. He is not a Fully Realized soul and he is not exempted from mistakes. He too may commit mistakes.
Even a dry sanyasi who does not involve in devotional services can commit mistakes. However, a devotee is expected NOT TO commit mistakes WILLFULLY. His mistakes may be mostly innocent ones. ie, beyond his care.
A devotee represents or is associated with a guru or a prestigious forum/ mutt or God Himself. So, the people find fault in his guru, forum/ mutt if a devotee commits offenses.
For example, if a devotee is doing a certain types of mistakes/ offenses, it will be very serious and he is eligible for getting commented by others:
(1) If a devotee is smoking or drinking and if the world sees that, will it add credit to the devotion?
So, If you call yourself as a devotee, you should never smoke or drink.
(2) If a devotee is ragging girls either alone or in a forum, will it be nice to see?
So, If you call yourself as a devotee, you should never talk to opposite sex without valid reasons.
(3) If a devotee calls a woman for illicit relations or speaks as if it induces that woman to consider his efforts positively, will it be viewed softly by the world?
So, If you call yourself as a devotee, you should never induce or involve in illicit relations (though a person of opposite gender calls you)
(4) If a devotee is speaking mundane topics like the affairs between an actor and actress, will it be nice?
So, If you call yourself as a devotee, you should never talk about worthless matters. However, for examination purposes, you can talk about current affairs, world today, India today, world history, science, etc.
(5) If a devotee is found watching adult contents in his mobile/ system, will this world accept it? So, If you call yourself as a devotee, you should never see the bodies other than that of your spouse except if you are a doctor.
(6) If a devotee is torturing his spouse, daughter in laws or mother in laws, will it be nice?
So, If you call yourself as a devotee, you should always behave mercifully to others.
(7) If a devotee is buying lottery tickets and getting disappointed again and again, will it be his quality?
So, If you call yourself as a devotee, you should earn ONLY through putting some efforts, not by short cuts.
(8) If a devotee is lying for getting benefits, will it be nice?
So, If you call yourself as a devotee, you should always speak truth though it may harm you. Lord Rama is the best example for this.
(9) If a devotee is wearing such a dress that exposes the sensitive portions of his/ her body, will it be viewed ordinarily?
If you call yourself as a devotee, you should wear decent dress that does not disturb others.
These are all some serious mistakes/ offences.
If you are not doing these things, you need not worry for such comments from the surroundings. Silly mistakes are natural.
However, in due course of time, take sincere efforts to avoid even such innocent silly mistakes. Because, this world is watching devotees whether he is a perfect devotee or a fraud.
Manu says that a Brahmana should be punished 1000 times more punishments than other varnas if he commits a crime. This means that brahmanas should lead a life without offenses. Same applies for the devotees also because they are also guiding others like brahmanas who teach vedas to others.
So, a devotee should be very very careful in his actions and speech and even his thoughts.