What should be the Vaishnavas’ approach with women and others?
(As said by H.H.Bhakti Charu Swami)
A vaishnava has to be very careful in dealing with the opposite sex, grahasthas and others. H.H.Bhakti Charu Swami spoke about it. This is the Last pat of his speech:
(i) In SRIMAD BHAGAVATHAM – 4.8.34:
Narada Muni says:
“Every man should act like this: when he meets a person more qualified than himself, he should be very pleased; when he meets someone less qualified than himself, he should be compassionate toward him; and when he meets someone equal to himself, he should make friendship with him. In this way, one is never affected by the threefold miseries of this material world.”
DEALINGS OF VAISHNAVAS WITH THE GRAHASTHAS
Srila Prabhupada’s Letter to Vrindavan Chandra 6/24/70:
“I am so glad to learn that your good wife is also helping you. That is the duty of a faithful companion of life. If the wife is helpful in the spiritual progress of life, she is the best friend and philosopher. So in Krishna consciousness the wife is never a burden, but she is completely a counterpart. So set example to your countrymen how younger generation can live peacefully, husband and wife, being engaged in Krishna’s service. There are many examples of this type of husband and wife working in our different centers for propagating this sublime message.”
(VAISHNAVA ETIQUETTES EXPECTED FROM THE VAISHNAVAS! READ HERE!)
HOW SHOULD A VAISHNAVA DEAL WITH THE WOMEN?
“In distributing love of Godhead, Caitanya Mahaprabhu and His associates did not consider who was a fit candidate and who was not, or where such distribution should or should not take place. They made no conditions.” (Cc. Adi-Lila 2.7.22)
- In essence, duality means that we forget that we are part and parcel of Krishna. We want to enjoy separately from Him, we want to play the controller. This controlling tendency culminates in sex desire.
- Man/woman concept is synonymous with material consciousness.
- Becoming Krishna conscious means rising above duality. We have to become fixed in the consciousness that all are part and parcel of Krishna and for His pleasure – not ours.
- A devotee’s foremost duty is to transcend sex desire.
- This takes philosophical awareness, constant practice and perseverance. (Aversion is not the solution. Attachment/ aversion are two sides of the same coin.)
- Srila Prabhupada in the compassionate mood of the Pancatattva has opened the treasure house of bhakti to all classes of men – and women.
- This offers us intense and unlimited opportunity to transcend material attachment and aversion and develop transcendental realization in Krishna.
- The word ‘mother’ generates a mood of respect and sobriety.
- When we advise that women should be seen as mothers, we mean that our dealings with women should be reserved and respectful.
- Such conduct will minimize offensive mentality and dealings with other living entities.
- Women should behave as mothers.
- In the practice of Krishna consciousness segregation of the sexes is essential.
Under the vaishnava etiquettes this is the last part with the tips for Vaishnavas’ approach with women and others.
(DRESSING & BEHAVIOUR OF VAISHNAVA IN PUBLIC PLACES! READ HERE!)