WHY THE NUMBER 108 IS SIGNIFICANT IN SPIRITUALITY?
Number 108 has a great significance in the spiritual and devotional practices. One round of 108 is considered as a cycle.
(NINE PROCESS OF DEVOTIONAL SERVICE! READ HERE! )
That is why, even while chanting, we have 108 beads as one round.
Wherever you go, 108 is given significance and followed as a basic minimum.
There are many reasons for this number being considered auspicious.
Let us see them:
(1) DIVISIBLE BY ITS OWN DIGITS: 108 is an integer divisible by the sum of its digits (1+0+8=9 that divides 108)
(2) 108 ENERGY LINES (HEART CHAKRA): The heart chakra is made by 108 energy lines that intersect each other forming heart chakra. SUSHUMNA is one among them that leads to the CROWN CHAKRA, and is said to be the path to Self-realization.
(3) There are 54 letters in the Sanskrit alphabet. Each has masculine and feminine, that makes a total of 108.
(KRISHNA AVATAR – ALL DATES RELATED TO ALL THE LILAS! READ HERE!)
(4) There are 108 Upanishads. It is said that when we chant the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra on each bead we are getting the benefit of reading one Upanishad.
(5) In astrology, there are 12 houses and 9 planets. 12 x 9 = 108.
(6) There were 108 principle gopis or maid servants of Krishna.
(7) The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Earth.
(8) The distance from the Sun to the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Sun.
(9) The average distance of the Moon from the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Moon.
Thus, 108 has gained a lot of significance with the creations and God. When the creations have a base number, it is natural that the spiritual practices will also embrace that number. Thus, 108 became very important in spirituality.
Hope you found this interesting.
(Why Krishna always wears Peacock Feathers? READ HERE!)