(IN THIS ARTICLE, LET US READ SOME EKADASI RECIPES TO BE PREPARED ON EKADASI)
INGREDIENTS TO BE USED & AVOIDED ON EKADASI?
ABSTAIN FROM: –
Grains (cereals, breads, wheat, flour, beans, rice, dhals, green beans, roti, coffee, etc) meat.
DO NOT COOK WITH: –
Powdered hing, shop turmeric (you can use whole turmeric), shop masala and chilli powder.
YOU CAN COOK WITH THE FOLLOWING:–
Whole turmeric, clean salt, cinnamon sticks, clean oil, butter, ghee, ginger, chilli, curry leaves, maas (yogurt), cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, clean sugar, rooibos tea, spinach, dhania, thyme, peppers, ground pepper, mint, green bananas, fresh cream, sour cream, bay leaves. Potatoes, tomatoes, peanuts, cabbage, pumpkin, butternut, gem squash, carrots, lettuce, all kinds of fruits, paneer.
SOME EKADASI RECIPES
1) Potato soup (add salt, thyme and black or white pepper)
2) Cut potato in large pieces, cut butternut in big pieces, carrots in thin strips, cauliflower into florets, cut sweet potato in rounds. Boil veg. for 15 minutes then drain the vegetables and save the liquid. Mix butter, black pepper, salt, origanum and lots of thyme – rub well into boiled vegetables, bake in oven till crispy on outside.
3) Make tomato chutney and then add scrambled paneer and dhania. You can also add some yogurt or fresh cream to it.
4) Vegetable Mix example: (cabbage, carrots, peppers, zucchini, and potatoes). Add black pepper, thyme and little butter and fresh cream. Use liquid from the baked vegetables below.
5) Cut eggplant into thin slices and deep fry. Keep aside. Prepare potato mash and keep aside. Now in a casserole dish and lay the eggplant on the bottom and then cover the eggplant with mash, thereafter sprinkle cheese on the mash, then place thin slices of tomato on the cheese. Place strips of peppers on tomato slices. Bake for a few minutes and serve.
6) Vaikuntha curry: use curry leaves and ginger. Cabbage sliced finely, green peppers in strips, carrots in strips; add fried paneer cubes, thyme and dhania.
7) Cut potato into rounds, deep fry and then drain to remove excess oil/ghee/butter. Now place flat in baking tray and grate cheese and bake till cheese melts.
8) Cut potato into rounds and deep fry and then drain excess oil. Place in baking tray (spaces between each) mix scramble curds, tiny cubed tomatoes, green peppers, salt, grated cheese, black pepper, thyme and then place on the potato – add more cheese on top and bake till cheese melts.
9) Bake whole potato with jacket in microwave till soft and make a cross in the top press open, dot butter and add tablespoon of sour cream, top with cheese and bake till cheese melts.
10) You can also cook cabbage and potato with tomatoes.
11) Cook mixed vegetables. For example, potato, cauliflower and zucchini in butter ghee or oil. When cooked add sour cream or fresh cream. Cook till it thickens.
12) Make salads and fruit salads.
13) Fry peanuts, fry green bananas
14) Fry nuts, fry grated potatoes (coloured with red/green/yellow food colour). Also you can fry thin slices of green bananas.
THE LIST AND LINKS OF 26 EKADASIS IN SEQUENCE CAN BE READ HERE
How to offer worship and prayers on Ekadasi? Read Here.
A-Z Tips on Ekadasi Fasting with practical considerations can be read here.