SIX FAVOURABLE AND UNFAVOURABLE PRINCIPLES FOR DEVOTIONAL SERVICE
(As said by Srila Rupa Goswami in Nectar Of Instruction)
(A) SIX FAVOURABLE PRINCIPLES FOR DEVOTIONAL SERVICE
A devotee who desires to advance in his devotion to Krishna should follow the following six principles:
(1) BEING ENTHUSIASTIC:
The devotee eagerly engages in the devotional service by involving all his belongings in the service. He feels joy in serving Krishna and His devotees.
(2) ENDEAVORING WITH CONFIDENCE:
The devotee has no fear because he has full faith that Krishna will protect him in all stages.
The devotee should not expect immediate results in his devotional service. He should just act as said by his spiritual master.
(4) ACTING ACCORDING TO REGULATIVE PRINCIPLES:
Every devotee should follow the four recommended regulative principles such as No meat eating, No Gambling, No intoxication and No illicit sex. He also chants Lord’s names sincerely.
(5) ABANDONING ASSOCIATION WITH NON-DEVOTEES:
As said by Sri Caitanya Maha Prabhu, a Vaisnava as someone who gives up the association with worldly people.
(6) FOLLOWING IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF PREVIOUS ACARYAS:
A devotee should follow what the previous acharyas recommended and followed. He should not manufacture new concepts.
(B) SIX UNFAVOURABLE PRINCIPLES FOR DEVOTIONAL SERVICE
A devotee who desires to advance in his devotion to Krishna should avoid the following six principles:
(1) Eating more than necessary or collecting more funds than required for his daily life.
(2) Over endeavoring for mundane things that are very difficult to obtain. We should work, earn for our living keeping the real goal of getting the mercy of Krishna in mind.
(3) Talking unnecessarily about mundane subject matters: One should not be interested in reading materialistic books, articles, playing video games, cards, watching television, etc etc
(4) Practicing the scriptural/ devotional rules and regulations without dedication, but, only for the sake of following them and not for the sake of spiritual advancement, or rejecting the rules and regulations of the scriptures and working independently or whimsically.
(5) Associating with worldly-minded persons who are not interested in Krishna Consciousness.
(6) Being greedy for mundane achievements without realizing the real purpose of human life, ie, to get the mercy of Krishna.