CHATURMASYA (or) CATURMAS VRATH – SCIENCE, STORY & A to Z DETAILS!
(1) Chaturmasya (or) Caturmasya (or) Chaturmas means FOUR MONTHS.
(2) The four months Vrath of Chaturmas begins on Deva Shayani Ekadasi (June/ July) and ends on Praboshini Ekadasi (Karthika month, ie, November)
(3) Lord Vishnu’s sleeping time starts on Devashayani ekadasi. And, He wakes up on Praboshini Ekadasi. Thus, Lord Vishnu sleeps for 4 months every year.
(4) This 4 months period is the sleeping night for celestials and demigods too.
(5) Since this is the sleeping time for all gods, it is believed that we should not disturb them during sleep. So, we should avoid praying for our own benefits during these four months that may disturb the sleeping gods.
(6) One year of man is equivalent to one day and night of the higher planets where demigods live. This has been proved by the science too.
(7) Dakshinayana is the night time and Uttarayana (Summer) is the day time in higher/ heavenly planets.
(8) Since the demons will be active during the sleeping time of Vishnu and demigods, we should increase our spiritual power by following certain vrath (fasts) and penances like chanting the Holy names of the Lord.
(9) So, this month should be used to increase our own Purity and Spiritual taste by chanting the holy names of Vishnu/ Krishna and doing some penances for pleasing Vishnu/ Krishna and also the demigods.
(10) Since we are living in kaliyuga, we are recommended only some simple penances like Vratha (Fasting) and chanting. So, we should chant as much as possible during these four months and glorify the Lord Vishnu/ Krishna. The chanting and Fasting done in these four months gives many times more benefits compared to other months. Even among these four months, the last month of Karthika is very important.
(Do you like to know the importance of Karthika month? READ HERE!)
THINGS TO AVOID DURING CHATURMASYA
AS FAR AS FASTING PENANCES ARE CONCERNED WE ARE EXPECTED TO AVOID THE FOLLOWING IN THESE FOUR MONTHS:
(I) FIRST MONTH (CALLED SRAVANA – JULY/AUGUST):
Avoid LEAFY Vegetables including Spinach, Coriander, Curry leaves, Basil, Herbs, etc. Take all other vegetables without restrictions.
(II) SECOND MONTH (CALLED BHADRAPADA – AUGUST/SEPTEMBER):
Avoid Only Yogurt. Take all other eatables including leafy vegetables.
(III) THIRD MONTH (CALLED ASVINA – SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER):
Avoid ONLY MILK during this month. Take all other eatables including Leafy vegetables and Yogurt.
(IV) FOURTH MONTH (CALLED KARTHIKA – OCTOBER/NOVEMBER):
Avoid While Lentils (Masura and Urad Dhals).
(V) OTHER THINGS TO BE AVOIDED DURING ALL THESE FOUR MONTHS:
(i) Sleeping on bed. (Mostly not followed now)
(ii) Physical (Sexual) interactions. (Remains secret!!!)
(iii) Getting married. (Many avoid marriage during these months)
(iv) Eating in hotels and others’ houses except the houses of devotees.
(v) Shaving (This is also not followed mostly).
STORY BEHIND CHATURMASYA (or) CATURMAS VRATH
Once RATRI, the devatha for the NIGHT TIME OF DEMIGODS, ie, for those four months, came to Lord Varaha Deva (Varaha avatar of Vishnu).
She was so sad and told the Lord Varaha that during these four months period of Chaturmasya, no one performs any auspicious functions, such as marriages. This is like avoiding her (Ratri).
She told the Lord Varaha that she wants to die unable to bear being considered inauspicious by the people.
So, Lord Varaha said:
“Oh, Ratri, you have three YAAMAS (1 Yaama = 2 months). The first two yamas (Chaturmasya Period) will henceforth become very dear to me. Any pious deed performed during these four months, the merits accrued will increase day by day. That is why, the last month Karthika is the most beneficial in all respects”.
After receiving this boon from Lord Varaha deva, RATRI got satisfied and returned to her abode.
This is the story behind Chaturmasya Vratha.
SCIENCE BEHIND CHATURMASYA (or) CATURMAS VRATH
During this Chaturmasya Period, the sun moves towards South. So, it is called Dakshinayana Period.
During the first day of this Chaturmasya Period, the sun starts to pass into the zodiac sign (Rasi) of Cancer.
During this season, there will be monsoon, autumn and winter. There will be rains also. So, some foods will take more time for digestion during this period in which the temperature will be less, negative energy of the universe will be more and also there will be more domination of thamo guna in the people.
(Know about the dangers of three gunas HERE!)
So, the incidence of diseases is also high. Vomiting, Loose stool, some uterus related problems for women, attacks of microorganisms, etc., occur more during these four months.
We need to increase our Satva Guna that is increased by celebrating festivals, observing fasts, Chanting Lord’s Names, etc.
This is the science behind Chaturmasya Vrath.
If you are confident that you can observe Chaturmasya Vrath, you can start from this year.
Whenever you avoid milk and Yogurt, please take some other vegetables rich in Calcium and B-Complex vitamins.
Because if you avoid milk or yogurt for one month, it may lead to deficiency of calcium and vitamins.
So, take green leaves more during the month in which you avoid milk or yogurt.
In the first month in which you avoid green vegetables, take Milk and Yogurt more to compensate loss of calcium and vitamins.
Hope this COMPLETE ARTICLE ON CHATURMASYA has been very useful to you. If Yes, please share this post to your friends in large numbers so that they too may learn everything about Chaturmasya.